Tuesday, February 4, 2014

One year ago today










One year ago today I finally met Little. Ten minutes later my husband and I came out of the haze of wonder and asked our midwife what we had, boy or girl. A boy. A beautiful, healthy, and big big boy!
Above are pictures of that intense and miraculous day. 

The other day our doula sent a birthday card for him. I have been laboring over how to describe that day, but I think her words are better than any I have tried to compose:

"Dear R
Happy Birthday sweet boy. It's hard to believe a whole year has passed since you were born. I remember that day well. I remember how strong and determined your mom was, even when things got beyond tough. She never gave up. Also I remember how loving and supportive your dad was to your mom. It was really beautiful for me to witness. Even though your birth was not easy (most amazing and valuable life experiences aren't) I feel it made everyone stronger. It's true that good things are worth the wait.

Love,
Your doula"

My son, your birth was tough, not easy, and you did make us wait (21 long hours), but you were worth it. 

It was one of the most amazing and valuable life experiences your father and I have shared together. Your entrance into this world empowered me in a way that I have yet to find the words for. You are changing the way I experience the world. I laugh and smile daily because of you. My life is full of wonder and joy. So much joy. Happy Birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment