Sunday, June 3, 2012

Guilty Pleasure= Surprising Inspiration

There is no dignified way to say this, but I am addicted to a novela (Spanish soap opera). I say addicted because it really isn't that good. I've see better, fo' sho'! But I must watch it. I need to know how things will turn out with Marisa, Cristobal, and Lalo. Realizing that I can catch up with missed episode online has only made things worse. Especially since that is the main way that I watch "Una Maid en Manhattan." Yes, that translates as "Maid in Manhattan", and yes it is loosely based on the J-Lo movie, and yes it is cheesy and ridiculous, but I am addicted to it.

Honestly this started as an experiment to see if I can regain some of my lost Spanish. I have lost so much of my Spanish since moving out of my parents' home. And I really wanted to regain that language, especially to be able to use with my students' parents. On the positive- my Spanish has improved. On the negative-it has improved mostly in areas that have to do with defending ones love, seeking revenge, and speaking romantically to my lover. Not helpful at all at my job. Ha!

The good thing about watching the novela online is that I don't have to sit through as many commercials. It's kinda like watching TV episodes on Hulu. And it is the same 5 commercials nearly every time, so I have their lengths memorized. I can dash out of the room and be back in time for the novela to start up again.

One of the commercials that is in the loop is a Pampers diaper commercial (excellent marketing- they sure do know their audience, just saying). The music in it is one of my favorites. And it is also a commercial that has surprisingly been one of my greatest encouragers. It has given me such a strong sense of hope, which is surprising. I think it hilarious that a commercial can do this, even if unintentionally.

The commercial in Spanish is less than a minute long, but I couldn't find the Spanish version. So below you will find a link to the English version. The visuals are all the same just longer. The music is the same, and part that still puts the greatest smile on my face and tears in my eyes is still there.


The part that speaks to my heart is when the text reads "Whether she's 3 months early...Or 10 years late." Even now, I am tearing up. Because, this will happen, I know it. Even if it is 10 years late. And if it is, I will be as happy as the woman in that scene. That joy will be mine! I just have to trust and wait.

And that is how my novela and Pampers gave me hope. May you too find hope for without it we are lost.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment