Friday, August 3, 2012

What if...

So a friend of mine was sharing her story with me. She had been trying for more than a year. At some point during this time the crazy crept in. It happens... But in her desperation to conceive her husband asked her a question that struck her right in the heart and helped her emerge from the crazy.

"What if I can't give you a baby? Do you still want to be with me???" he asked. What a bizarre question it must have seemed to my friend. She didn't marry her husband because of his genes for procreation. And yet, she must have been acting in such a way that led her husband to wonder if her need to carry life was more powerful than her love for him.

How blind we can become in the craziness, how unwittingly our pain can be transfered to others, hurting those we love most.

But as she shared this story with me, I had to check-in with myself. I had to ask myself the same question. "If having a child is not something that can happen between my husband and I, do I still want to live out the rest of my days with this man???" The answer to that question was the reality check I needed at just that moment. I was so absorbed in my own desire that I forgot that I have chosen to travel the rest of my days on this earth with someone else and that must remain a priority if we are to succeed in this married life.

So the answer to the question was YES!!!! I still want to be with him no matter what!


I mean, who wouldn't?!?!? He is willing to entertain his wife by taking her to childish restaurants, and take goofy pictures just to make her happy. He has made my life better in so many ways, and all this sans children. I can't even imagine raising children without him. So it is him all the way. Love him. Love him. Love him!


1 comment:

  1. Awwwww. I am making that Jonathans profile picture on my phone. :D

    ReplyDelete